Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Take A Walk On The Sweet Side

Homemade jam and paneer toast.
This weekend, I had a couple of girlfriends and their families over for brunch. Instead of my usual brunch go-to's, I decided to change things up a bit. I strayed from the frittata and made an Indian-spiced egg scramble; instead of a savory strata, I tried my hand at a banana bread pudding; and in place of my planned masala toast, I made these little paneer-jam toasts.

I never would have thought to make a sweet dish from this ricotta-like cheese, but then remembered it's what my favorite dessert - ras malai - is made from, so why not?

Mix in some homemade jam (blueberry/ginger and peach/vanilla) and put the mixtures on lightly toasted sliced baguette for a perfect addition to your brunch menu. I can't take any credit for the delicious homemade jams, as they were provided by a friend, but for easy instructions on how to make the cheese, see my January post "Homemade Paneer."

1 comment: