Monday, June 27, 2011

Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic and Shaved Parmesan


I love my weekly farmer's market ritual because it continues to inspire me, to push me into unknown arenas. I grew up in a traditional Indian home, and certain foods were a mystery to me until I entered the world of college. Sure, I would hear about brussel sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, etc., but I had no idea what they tasted like, let alone how to cook them. It's amazing to me to look back at what I grew up eating and see the contrast with the wide breadth of foods I now enjoy.


This dish was inspired by a trip to the cafe Lemonade in Brentwood; I still haven't eaten there, but the array of colorful dishes in the display case looked delicious!

1 lb brussel sprouts
3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp crushed red pepper
balsamic vinegar
shaved parmesan
salt to taste

Boil brussel sprouts in salted water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Cut brussel sprouts in half. Heat oil in skillet and add garlic and brussel sprouts. Cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper, 2 tbs balsamic vinegar, salt to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until browned and tender. Transfer to bowl.

Let cool for a few minutes, then toss with 1 tbs balsamic and shaved parmesan. Serve while still warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment